Grandma loved her fried cabbage and seemed to cook cabbage 2 to 3 times a week. Back then Grandma always saved her bacon grease to cook with. She always seemed to have a large can that sat on the back of her stove. Today, we don’t normally save bacon grease to cook with. Many people consider this unhealthy. Grandma was from the south and this was just her way. She said food just didn’t taste right if you cooked it in olive oil or butter. She swore the bacon grease is what gave her food the flavor it needed.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 green pepper, shredded
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Accent
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt your bacon grease in a large cast iron skillet.
- When hot, add all the ingredients to the skillet.
- Reduce the heat and cover the skillet.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
Serve immediately. This yields 6 servings.