Scalloped Cabbage is another favorite here in Texas. This is a great side dish to serve with a rack of BBQ ribs, chicken or even pork. It is easy to prepare and everyone loves the cheesy flavor of the cabbage. This is a great side dish to take to a potluck or even serve this at lunch with a sandwich.
- 1 large cabbage, shredded, it should fill a large casserole dish.
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of sharp cheese, shredded.
- 3/4 cup of dried bread crumbs
- Cook the shredded cabbage in salt water until it is tender.
- Drain the cabbage and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour.
- Pour in the milk and cook until it starts to thicken.
- Add the sharp cheese to the mixture and cook until the cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cabbage to your baking dish and pour the cream sauce over the top of the cabbage.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the top of the bread crumbs starts to turn brown.
Makes 6 servings.