It is the time of the year to warm up your home and family with some good old fashion homemade soups for lunch or dinner. You can either make this soup with broccoli, asparagus or cauliflower. I personally enjoy the broccoli and cauliflower soup. My family loves this for dinner served with a hot loaf of homemade bread and a nice tossed salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bunch (10 oz.) fresh broccoli, or 10 oz fresh asparagus, or 10 oz fresh cauliflower
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons. butter
- 1 quart of chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- Salt and pepper
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan, stir in flour.
- Cook 3 minutes over low heat, while stirring constantly.
- Cool. Set aside.
- If using broccoli: Wash and trim off tough part.
- Separate and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Stir in broccoli, cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock or broth, heat to simmering.
- Stir a small amount of liquid into cooked flour and butter mixture until smooth; return mixture to saucepan; stirring until smooth.
- Simmer, covered until broccoli is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly. Puree in electric blender, return to saucepan.
- Blend cream into soup.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.