This is a wonderful dish on a cold fall evening or winter night. Your family will love the flavor. If you serve this with a nice loaf of homemade bread it makes the perfect meal.
- 1 pound (8 links) fully cooked bratwurst or knackwurst* cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium (2 cups) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium (1/2 cups) onion, chopped
- 1 small (4 cups) cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Swiss cheese, shredded
- Snipped parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine sausage, potatoes, onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and a dash of pepper.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to boiling and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender.
- Stir in cabbage. Cook 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the milk.
- Stir remaining milk into the flour and stir into the soup.
- Cook (on low heat as this dish will scorch easily) and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese, cook until it is melted.
- Garnish with parsley.
Makes 6 servings. *Polish sausage may also be used in place of German sausage.